Friday, February 26

"Hold On"

When I became director of Leo Rouge, the previous people had pretty much everything worked out for concert. So, instead of being able to pick and choose what to choreograph, they had already assigned me a lyrical. I love dancing lyrical, but my body usually just comes out a little bit modern when I try to choreograph. Plus, so often lyrical ends up being this overly emotional form of dance, super dramatic with pained facial expressions. Avoiding both overly dramatic music and music I knew would come out modern, I finally found a piece that I loved: Michael Buble's "Hold On" (Much thanks to Janna for giving me the CD!). Yesterday I started choreographing. Ashlei came up to help me and it was so wonderful to dance again! Sure, I get to teach dance every day, so technically I'm dancing, but not like this. Ash and I have danced together for so long that we move similarly and breathe together. We turned on the music and started improv'ing and just built off of one another. Somehow without realizing we went at the same tempo and felt each other moving. I'd forgotten about that feeling. About how wonderful it is to dance with teammates because of that.  (The pic is from an Extravadance a while ago, but I wanted to put up some kind of picture and it was all I could find. I'm in the blue vest and Ash is in the pink in front.)

So- my girls' concert isn't until May, but I'm already excited for the pieces. I have high hopes for the lyrical. Today I'm finishing up with Ash. If I can figure out how to record us doing it then I'll put it up as far as we have. So fun!

1 comment:

  1. love it Linds! Sounds like so much fun! I wish I could even move like I used to. No such luck. So I encourage you to keep it up - because it goes quickly! You'll have to let us know when the concert is, we would love to come up! PS love those awesome outfits! lol

    ReplyDelete