Monday, February 8

Sunday Musings: Gratitude and Compassion

Upon moving to Rexburg seven years ago I was asked if I would give a talk in Sacrament meeting. I was 18, brand new to college, new to the ward, and new to a calling I was a bit intimidated by; to add speaking publicly in church almost felt like I was going to implode from stress. Later, though, Bishop Surrey told me the topic was gratitude. Whew! Fairly easy topic and one that I felt I was pretty good at. If I had to talk in front of people, at least it could be on something I was confident about.  In general I'd still say I'm a grateful person who sees the beauty and blessings in the world around me.

However, today in Relief Society I realized something more, something that I've always been grateful for on the surface, but have never plunged into the pool to see it in depth. The teacher was talking about how many women don't know where to find love and search in the wrong places for it. She continued on with the lesson, but I stayed stuck, mired in a new, somewhat troubling yet enlightening, thought. My family is a top priority in my life and I've been blessed to be a top priority in theirs. In that same vein, I've been blessed with a steady and sure set of friends that I love dearly. Both groups have stood by me and grounded me during the best and worst parts of life. I've always been grateful for these wonderful people  and thank God often for their love, influence, support, and even occasionally for their chastisement. I've never had to search for love- it's been around me every moment of my life. I think back to those times when I've judged someone harshly for staying with a boyfriend/girlfriend who treated them poorly, when they decide to join a group of friends that influence them to become less than their potential, when they go through dates like a child goes through their treat bag on Halloween night, and I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself. I kept thinking over and over again- "Lindsay, Lindsay, what has your lack of compassion done to others? Why hasn't your gratitude connected with your charity towards everyone around you?"


So... First of all I want to thank you, my friends and family who inspire me to be constantly better, who catch me when I trip (or when I choose to jump off a cliff), for letting me know someone cares about how I turn out in the end, for people to laugh at the same jokes with, for someone to cry with (and often on) when life gets difficult, for someone to enjoy the peace of the day in sunny silence. You've blessed me more than even I know. Secondly, and more importantly, I'm going to translate my gratitude into the compassion and charity that the world needs so much.



This post is pretty reflective, more like unto a journal than a blog, but I want to be sure to write something every Sunday about the Gospel and my testimony. Since only a few people even know about this I figured that would be alright.

Thank you all, sincerely. Much love...

2 comments:

  1. Linds, love the post, very enlightening. Very true for so many more of us than just you. I really enjoyed reading it. One complaint: could you have chosen a worse pic of me? I know I photograph wonderfully and thus, know this is probably the only pic you have of me that is HORRID. So thanks a ton for the awesome pic posted. Don't worry I'll get you back. :) Or, maybe since your post is so good, I will forgive you this one time. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds.
    Love this post. Love your thinking and your writing.
    Totally an inspiration.
    Thanks for sharing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete