Saturday, February 6

Busy Nothings and Simple Everythings

As most people know, my family has rather a large influence on me. Thus, when everyone else decided to create a blog and Janna told me to get on it, I complied. Now to my family it may come as a shock that I actually listened to them and took their advice (apparently they think I'm the slightest bit stubborn), especially since I once told them all that I'd never blog. I've come to realize though that almost everything I've ever said I'd never do has come to pass; that little realization means that I might as well embrace blogging sooner rather than later.

My title comes from a Jane Austen book, Mansfield Park, one of my favorites. Fanny is talking about the fact that life continues on as it always has, neither caring to speed up or slow down for anyone. The full quote is, "Life is just a quick succession of busy nothings". It seems to me that she has life quite right. Fanny Price may mean it in a caustic sense, but I'm a bit more optimistic about it. The quick succession is usually more blessed than not and the busy nothings are what give the continuity to life that I crave. Bright, splendid moments add contrast, but it's the everyday things I like best: cooking, cleaning up, chatting with friends, church callings, getting lost in books, dancing on my way out to the car (and occasionally in the grocery store when I don't think anyone is watching), seeing my breath in the cold air, walking barefoot in the grass... All these are busy nothings. But, in their busy nothingness they become simple everythings. And, in all honesty, that's my favorite part about life.

1 comment:

  1. Linds, I love it! So cute and creative. And it gives me something to think about. You did an awesome job!! Thanks for starting and giving me something to do! It is darling and so YOU!

    ReplyDelete