Tuesday, November 30

Misjudging the Snowy Season

   This morning I woke up early and went out to scrape the walks in the dewy morning light from the snow that fell, literally, all day yesterday. It was beautiful and crisp and fresh and the whole world felt magically new and pristine. It was just light enough that the sky is that foggy-gray color without any sunlight peeping through yet. 
   As I was shoveling I was thinking about a couple different things. A) How beautiful it is early in the morning. B) The fact that I may get stronger arms and shoulders from it- always excellent. C) The peace that comes from just being by yourself with your own thoughts to start out the day. D) Writing a blog about the idea that maybe snow isn't all that cold after all (If you have the right clothes and are doing something active) and that maybe I've been misjudging it all this time and should really give things a second chance this winter. 
   After I finished I went inside, got ready (the hot shower was blessed), and was leaving for work, my neighbor was outside helping his wife into their car. We exchanged good mornings and I thought he would head back inside, but instead he stayed out and said he'd wait to be sure I didn't get stuck. He waited for a few minutes while I scraped my windows and gathered my stuff and then he made sure I got onto the cleared road before he waved goodbye and went inside. What a beautiful example of brotherly love and service. How kind it was of him to wait to be sure I was safe and didn't get stuck in the snow plow's drift. 
   I used to dread the coming of winter- the only really good thing about it was that you can sit by a window and watch the beauty of snow as you drink hot chocolate and read. Yesterday and today though, I noticed how much service is naturally given in the snow. I scraped the walks for my neighbors and my neighbors scraped our walks later. Windows were scraped without being asked and snow was swept off the top of cars long before it was actually needed. Girls were helped to cross snow drifts in heels and arms were offered to help each other from slipping. Advice is freely given and warnings are shared. Cookies are accepted and people admit to needing help, which is freely and lovingly given. The warmth of homes is enjoyed a little more. The hello's of passerby's are more readily returned. 
Dear Winter, I'm sorry for misjudging you and not seeing the beauty you bring out in people. You have your not-so-pretty parts too, like all of us do, but you are beautiful in many, many ways. 
Thank you

2 comments:

  1. Linds!!! Hi!! I found your blog! I know I am totally a blog stalker! How are you girlfriend? You look just as beautiful as ever!! Seriously, you are one gorgeous girl and I bet your students just love you! I love reading your blog because I can picture you talking as I am reading it. Love it! I am thinking about starting up my blog again so when I do I will send you an invite, then you can see how huge my belly is getting. For some reason my butt and thighs feel a need to catch up too! oh yeah it so attractive! J/K We found out it's a boy and Shawn is so sooo excited. Kadence is convinced it's a girl. Silly girl, I hope she doesnt know something I dont, I have already bought way too much boy stuff! Anyway hopefully we can stay in touch now that I discovered your blog! Love ya! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read your blog and maybe even I'll try to readjust my thinking about winter. Surely wa great of the strangers that helped Ry and I push his car out of the slush and muck!

    ReplyDelete