Tuesday, November 2

Election Day

First of all, you need to understand that I absolutely love being in Glenwood precinct. I love being able to go down and vote for the elections I really care about and research well. Usually I figure time out enough that I can vote early, however this year, somehow, time just zipped  by me and I found myself on November 1st without having made it to the Richfield County Building.

Last night I was considering running down to Richfield to vote this afternoon after school. I needed to stop by UVU anyway, I thought, and if I left right after school, I could make it, right? Unfortunately, two of my students decided to choose today to tell their parents they needed to work on homework for my class after school. What was I supposed to do? Tell them I actually had a life outside of school? (One that consists of driving hours to vote... nothing they'd be impressed with anyways.) Thus, at 4:45 I was still sitting at school helping them with vocabulary and how to format an essay. Very good things, but... voting just wasn't going to happen.

Thankfully the political equivalent of a knight in shining armor, Chris Wharton, called to remind me to vote and told me I could do a provisional ballot. Woohoo! I had to miss dance class and went to three different places looking for a place to vote before finally finding one at Highland High. There was a line at least thirty people long and I spent far longer than I planned there, but I finally voted. Success! I can keep harping on the importance of voting to my students without being hypocritical. Whew!
Just a side note, I think it usually happens that my vote is the kiss of death for candidates- they never seem to win. I've considered voting for the candidates I don't like to see if it will work inversely, but my political drive just won't quite let me go there. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment