Tuesday, October 12

Books, Books, and More Books

Apparently when I'm stressed I decide it would be more advantageous to read for hours on end rather than work on the To Do list that should be filling that time. Logical sense, right? Yep... I know. Pure brilliance on this side of the computer. Anyway, I've read a couple books in the last few weeks that have left an impression (there have been others, but... don't want to bore you). 


Fallen
by Lauren Kate




  After a crazy stressful day at school I escaped to B&N and bought this (I'd heard recommendations). The premise is a doomed love affair with the whole 'fallen angel' angle thrown in. The main characters are destined to fall in love during each life, but once they find one another, the girl always gets killed, but is reincarnated so they can fall in love again in the next life. (Sounds sketchy, right? Up to this point I agree.) This life, however, is different and the entire battle of good vs. evil is brought to a point around them. 
Is the book going to win a Newbery award? Probably not. Is it entertaining? For sure. It has a lot of over the top drama with a little teenage angst and some dreaminess thrown in. There's romance, a little mystery and pretty good plot and character development. I'll probably end up reading the rest of the series, but... not until I get some other books out of the way. 


The Hero and the Crown
by Robin McKinley

While at B&N during that same stressed out spree, I happened to pass by the shelf that held the staff recommendations and this was on it. I'd never heard of it before, but it's about a dragon and a hero and fantasy and medieval and on top of all that, it was a Newbery winner... what more could I ask to recommend it to me? And.... I absolutely loved it! Honestly, it was great. Very well written with a complex plot that continues to twist and turn as you read. The story line is a very fantasy, so if you aren't into that, this isn't for you, but it's cohesive with lots of old legends involved, which of course made me love it even more. It has all the aspects of a book that make it a great teen read and I honestly would recommend it to anyone who likes the genre. The only thing I didn't like was one aspect of the end that didn't quite get tied up completely... at least to my liking. After you read it, we'll chat. I'm itching for someone to discuss it with... : )



Book orders just came in yesterday... you can bet I have a whole stack waiting on my book shelf again right now. In fact, I'm pretty sure I feel a pull from them... a need to immerse myself in one right NOW.



2 comments:

  1. And apparently when I'm stressed out, I read blogs...I could use some juvenile fiction in my life. I'm stuck in the middle of Eliot's Middlemarch. Though we both know I would not be the one to discuss books with. I merely read them, I don't digest them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I love your book reviews. Sounds like I would like them, but when? Have you read "The Host", I have heard it is really good, bought it, but still haven't read it. Anyway, how about you find some good books for Josie. She started "Goose Girl", hated it, kept reading, decided she loved it but now is thinking it is boring again. Not sure why or how to help her. Crazy! Well, enjoy your books because soon we will up visiting and I promise there will be NO reading time!

    ReplyDelete